Thursday, September 08, 2011

Impressing Your Mother-in-Law with Pan-fried Chicken with Stilton Blue

I have never had a good relationship with my mother-in-law. This probably is because her son and I married at a very young age. I remember her telling all of her family and friends that I stole her baby boy. Whenever she tries to visit our house, I still can’t deny the fact that I would feel utterly uncomfortable. Whenever she does, I feel that she has these eyes prying on my every move, making me want to do everything in my utmost best, especially in the kitchen.

For her lunch visit today, I prepared what I believe to be one of my dishes to boast for: The Pan-fried Chicken with Stilton Blue Cheese. You could never go wrong with this recipe. For those of you who are also wanting to make an impression on somebody, try this recipe. This is how you cook it:

You will need the following:
1 tbsp Olive Oil
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts, skinned
1 Onion, finely chopped
225g/8oz. Stilton cheese, rind removed
120ml/4fl.oz. White Wine
240ml/8fl.oz. Whipping Cream
480ml/16fl.oz. Chicken Stock
White pepper

Instructions:
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the chicken breasts and fry for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon or tongs, set aside and keep warm.
2. Reheat the oil until hot and then add the onions and sauté over a medium heat until soft and transparent.
3. Crumble cheese onto onions and stir until partially melted.
4. Add the wine, pepper to taste, stock and cream and stir until well blended.
5. Add the chicken, partially cover and simmer over a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is reduced and chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.

Many of you are probably wondering what a Stilton Cheese is. It is a medium or crumbly textured English blue cheese made from fresh pasteurized cows' milk to which acid forming bacteria are added. They are made only in Derbyshire, Leicestershire, and Nottinghamshire. The manufacturers of Stilton Cheese in these counties applied for and received Protected Geographical Status in 1996 which means that production is limited to these three counties and must use pasteurised local milk.

When I think back at how my mother-in-law’s face looked like as she took a slice of the pan-fried chicken with Stilton Cheese, I can only sigh with relief. That was actually the very first time I’ve seen her look surprised and glad at what she is eating. But you want to know what’s the most flattering of all? It’s when she asked me how I cooked it! Go ahead and impress your mother-in-law with this dish. To get the most authentic Stilton Blue Cheese, you may purchase online through the best cheese shop there is!